This is a rather random and incomplete list of some of the books and authors I have enjoyed. I expect to flesh this out as I work on my blog, as there are many other books I can recommend. Some of these are easy reading; a few are not. Tastes vary, and what I like won’t appeal to everyone, but if I can introduce a few old friends to new ones, or vice versa, that’s a good thing.
Mysteries and Suspense
- Dorothy L. Sayers’ mysteries featuring Lord Peter and Harriet Vane, starting with Strong Poison.
- The Brother Cadfael mysteries, by Ellis Peters.
- Tony Hillerman’s Lieutenant Leaphorn and Jim Chee mysteries.
- Faye Kellerman’s series featuring Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus.
- The Knights Templar series by Michael Jecks.
- Just about anything by Mary Stewart or Dick Francis.
Fantasy and Science Fiction
- J. R. R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings.
- The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.
- The Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling.
- Terry Pratchett’s Discworld.
- Mercedes Lackey’s 500 Kingdoms.
- The Lord Darcy stories by Randall Garrett.
- The Witches of Karres by James H Schmitz
- The Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett.
- The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.
- Cashelmara by Susan Howatch.
- The Mathematics of Love by Emma Darwin.
- Moo by Jane Smiley
- The Golden Gate by Vikram Seth.
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.
- The Endurance by Caroline Alexander
- Longitude by Dava Sobel
- Rocket Boys (a.k.a. October Sky) by Homer Hickam