This is a rather random and incomplete list of some of the books and authors I have enjoyed. I expect to flesh this out as I work on my blog, as there are many other books I can recommend. Some of these are easy reading; a few are not. Tastes vary, and what I like won’t appeal to everyone, but if I can introduce a few old friends to new ones, or vice versa, that’s a good thing.
Mysteries and Suspense
- Dorothy L. Sayers’ mysteries featuring Lord Peter and Harriet Vane, starting with Strong Poison.
- The Brother Cadfael mysteries, by Ellis Peters.
- Tony Hillerman’s Lieutenant Leaphorn and Jim Chee mysteries.
- Faye Kellerman’s series featuring Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus.
- The Knights Templar series by Michael Jecks.
- Just about anything by Mary Stewart or Dick Francis.
Fantasy and Science Fiction
- J. R. R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings.
- The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.
- The Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling.
- Terry Pratchett’s Discworld.
- Mercedes Lackey’s 500 Kingdoms.
- The Lord Darcy stories by Randall Garrett.
- The Witches of Karres by James H Schmitz.
- Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch.
- The Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett.
- The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.
- Cashelmara by Susan Howatch.
- The Mathematics of Love by Emma Darwin.
- An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears.
- Moo by Jane Smiley.
- The Golden Gate by Vikram Seth.
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.
- The Magic Tree House books by Mary Pope Osborne (beginning readers),
- Edward Eager’s children’s book: Half Magic, Magic by the Lake, The Well-Wishers, Seven-Day Magic… (elementary school readers),
- The Oz stories by Frank L. Baum (elementary school readers),
- The Dr Doolittle books by Hugh Lofting (elementary school readers),
- The Phantom Tollbooth by Norten Juster (elementary school readers),
- The Silver Crown and The Rats of NIMH by Robert C O’Brien (elementary school readers),
- The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien (preteens),
- The Mad Scientists’ Club stories by Bertrand Brinley (preteens),
- The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan (preteens),
- The first few Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer (preteens),
- Howl’s Moving Castle, by Diana Wynne Jones (preteens),
- Drama, by Raina Telgemeier (preteens),
- Heinlein’s juvenile novels, particularly Red Planet and Have Spacesuit, Will Travel (early teens),
- A Wizard of Earthsea, by Ursula K Le Guin (early teens),
- Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke (mid teens),
- Watership Down by Richard Adams (mid teens),
- Graceling by Kristen Cashore (mid teens),
- Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson (mid teens),
- A Spell for Chameleon, by Piers Anthony (mid teens),